About the drug:
The main active ingredient Acyclovir is a synthetic nucleoside analogue, used actively against herpes viruses. This medicine is quite effective to reduce the discomfort and severity of cold sores, also called fever blisters found on lips and face, caused by Herpes Simplex virus infection.
Uses of the drug:
Cold sore and blisters:
Cold sores are the infections caused by herpes simplex virus. In this infection fluid filled blister are formed on the various areas of face, body and also on the mucous membrane. These blisters leave the area red and swollen. The blisters usually heal in a few weeks but they can reappear.
Genital herpes are the infection passed down during sexual intercourse from one infected partner to the other. These sores can be found on the membranes of the genitals and sometimes around the opening of rectum.
Working of the drug:
Acyclovir directly attacks the replication mechanism of the virus. Thus the virus is not able to replicate or multiply.
The replication mechanism requires DNA polymerase for its optimum activity, but the herpes works by blocking the DNA polymerases and hence replication of the virus. This controls the infection and helps the immune system to deal with it. Eventually your immune system will kick in to kill the virus and the cold sore will form a scab as it heals
Acivir 5 gm is manufactured by Cipla, India. You can buy Acivir 5 gm online at aipcthshop.com.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the cream form in the following strength on our website:
- Acivir 5 gm cream
Before you take this drug:
Do not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to this drug or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- Are pregnant, take all the medicine for HIV prescribed by the doctor, to prevent the spread of HIV to the unborn baby.
- Are breastfeeding or planning to breast feed
- Have any other kind of skin infections/ rashes or eczema
How much to apply the drug?
The dosage must be according to the prescription of the doctor. The dosage may vary from 200 to 800 mg according to severity of situation. It must be applied five times a day, every four times a day for 5-10 days.
How to apply the drug?
- Follow the directions given below:
- Wash your hands
- Squeeze a small amount of cream on your finger
- Apply to the affected area
- Apply five times a day, after about a 4 hours gap
- Do not exceed the dose other than recommended
- Apply the cream at about the same time each day so that we do not forget to apply the dose on the recommended time period. Ask the doctor if there is any kind of confusion about the time of cream application.
For how long to take it?
Continue treatment for five days and if the cold sore does not heal after this time, treatment may continue for up to a further five days. If you are not fully recovered even after 10 days or if your cold sore has become very severe, consult your doctor.
If you feel any alarming symptoms then immediately consult the doctor about this drug and its possible side effects of over dosage. If the situation worsens then visit the nearest healthcare center or call the FDA emergency helpline number
In case you forget to take the dose, skip the dose and take the next dose on the recommended time period. Do not double up the dose for the missed one.
Side effects of the drug:
- Tell your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any of the following:
- Itchy, dry, peeling, or cracked lips
- Mild pain, burning, or stinging
- Contact dermatitis or allergic inflammation of the skin
- In such cases you must go for immediate medical help. Do not get alarmed by the list. You may /may not experience all of them. Tell your doctor immediately in the above situations.
Common drug interactions:
Ask your doctor to get the full list of the drugs needed to be avoided while taking the drug as they may interfere it and can worsen the situation. Your doctor is fully aware of the drug to be avoided. Also tell him about the herbal or OTC medicine that you are taking or you have been taking. Never start a new medicine without the information of doctor.
Things to remember:
- Wash the hands before and after applying the cream
- This cream is for external use only
- Avoid touching the sores unnecessarily
- The cream is for external use only
- Do not use for the application in infections of eyes